BIODATA OF DR. G. O. C. AJAH, MNI.
The Executive Chairman Enugu State Science Technical and Vocational Schools Management Board (STVSMB).
- Permanent Secretary Rtd.
- SSG Enugu State (2015 – 2019)
- Former PDP Gubernatorial Aspirant Enugu 2023
On a bright day of 24th July, 1962 was a remarkable event in Umuika Village of Enuogu Nkerefi. A child was born, but nothing indicated anything unusual about the birth excepting that the child was an exceedingly joy to the family as a male child: Ogbuife as he was then called indicated scope of life endeavoures he is to transverse.
Ogbuife – the triumphant of events and circumstances is a man of many parts. When he was later name Gabriel (during Christian baptism) its aptness as a servant messenger of God, the path finder of the servant leader of the people, he is to become in life, in recognition of the supreme role God is to play in his life as source of his strength (Chukwu bu Ikem). Hence his full names Gabriel Ogbuife Chukwubuikem Ajah (G.O.C. Ajah).
G.O.C was educated in St. Patrick’s School Amofu and later Community Primary School Enuogu Nkerefi between 1970-1973, Colliery Comprehensive Secondary School Ngwo 1974 – 1979, College of Education Benin City (1980 – 1983) University of Benin 1984 – 1986, and returned to the same University in 1987 – 1990 for a Master Degree. He was also in the University of Nigeria Enugu Campus in 1995 where he bagged LL.B Hons. Degree in Law (2002).
G.O.C Ajah, mni was in the Nation’s most prestigious Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies Kuru, (NIPSS) as a member of the Senior Executive Course 24 in 2002. He is therefore, priviledge to be one of the few and less than 2000 Nigerians who have been admitted into membership of National Institute Kuru, Jos (mni) since inception in 1979 till today.
His thirst for education was not yet assuaged. He bagged his Ph.D programme at the first University of Technology in Nigeria, Enugu State University of Science and Technology in 2016. He walked the tortuous path of this academic citadel for a few years until he was awarded his Doctoral Degree in Education Management after a thorough defence before a team of renowned Nigerian educationists.
Elder G.O.C Ajah (mni) has been a focused man right from his childhood. Reading through his life, one would not be surprised why he attained so much height in life. He caught the vision of godliness through personal knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ early in life (1992). Since then he has not looked back on following Christ in truth and spirit. His commitment to Christ has not been in doubt as reflected in many responsibilities he has held in Christian circles. In his church, Assemblies of God, he has been a Sunday School Teacher, a Deacon hence the appendage “Elder” G.O.C. But his Christian disposition has not limited him to Assemblies of God as could be found in his relationship with Christians outside his church. This relationship grew up in his membership of Full Gospel Businessmen’s Fellowship. His commitment in that circle caused him to be given a resounding reception at Nike Lake Resort on 26th September, 2015 when he was appointed the SSG to Enugu State.
Elder G.O.C Ajah (mni) as a young Christian bid his time and waited upon the Lord until he met his helpmate, then Miss Anthonia Offiah in 1989. And the marriage has been blessed with six children. Being a good family man, one cannot expect to see him outside his family if not for Christian activities, community services and government service. Thus Elder Ajah (mni) enjoys a close-knit family where discipline is the order of the day.
Between 1988 to date, G.O.C. Ajah (mni) has held so many appointments such as Tutor – Secondary Schools in Enugu State, Chairmanship of Parent Teachers Association of Santa Rosa Children School, Emene; Former Special Assistant to the Secretary of Enugu State Government; Chairman of Nkanu East Local Education Authority; Former Acting HOD/General Studies, Lecturer Federal College of Education Eha-Amufu, Former Senior Lecturer in English, Institute of Ecumenical Education Thinkers Corner Enugu; part time Lecturer in English Abia State University Uturu and Osisatech Polytechnics and College of Education Enugu. He transferred laterally into the State Civil Service Commission as Director in 2001. He served as Permanent Secretary in various Ministries and Boards in Enugu State Government namely:
- Permanent Secretary Ministry of Environment (2001-2002)
- Permanent Secretary PSD (Office of Head of Service) (2002-2003)
- Permanent Secretary (General Admin. SSG’s Office, 2003-2004),
- Permanent Secretary Ministry of Education (2004), SSG’s office again (2005),
- Permanent Secretary ENSUBEB (2005-2007),
- Permanent Secretary Ministry of Agriculture (2008-2010)
- Permanent Secretary/Chief Admin. Officer to the Governor, Governor’s Office (2011-14th May 2015) and was on 15th May 2015 appointed Secretary to the Enugu State Government.
- On 10th November 2019 G.O.C Ajah Ph.D was appointed the Executive Chairman Enugu State Science, Technical and Vocational Schools Management Board (STVSMB) by His Excellency Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi the Executive Governor of Enugu State.
G.O.C has performed creditably in all special assigned Adhoc duties such as
- Member, Enugu State Local Government Asset Sharing Committee
- Member, Enugu State Government Panel of Inquiry on the New Haven Shopping Complex,
- Member Enugu State Panel of Inquiry on the Reported Cases of negligence of duty in the Enugu State Local Government System
- Member, Panel of Inquiry to Investigate allegations that border on abuse of office against Enugu State Director of Sports
- Member/Secretary Judicial Commission of Inquiry to the Enugu Ngwo Civil Disturbances;
- Member/Secretary Administrative Panel of Inquiry into Boarded Vehicles in Ministry of Finance to name but a few.
Community Leader And Philanthropist:
As a community leader and a philanthropist, particularly in the area of education G.O.C Ajah single handedly established and founded Girls Comprehensive Secondary School Enuogu Nkerefi in 2004 now Science Technical College Enuogu Nkerefi and awarded scholarship to the 13 pioneer students of the school, and donated trophies to many Secondary Schools in his Community.
As Permanent Secretary and later Acting Chairman ENSUBEB Enugu, G.O.C Ajah revolutionized renovations/construction of new classroom blocks in Enugu State and in his community such as:
- Girls Comprehensive Secondary School Enuogu Nkerefi (New Construction)
- Community Sec. Sch. Amofu Nkerefi (New Construction)
- Community Sec. Sch. Amofu Nkerefi (Self Help Project award)
- Primary School Umuika Amofu Nkerefi (New Constructions ETT and Self Help Project and Renovations)
- Primary School Enuogu Nkerefi (Renovations of 2 classroom blocks)
- Community School Enuogu (self Help Project)
- Igbokeocha Primary School Imeoha Nkerefi (Hon. Dr. G.O.C Ajah gave initial approval for the school as a Permanent Secretary Ministry of Education) in 2004, and later renovated the school in 2008.
- Primary Schools Imeoha Nkerefi (Self Help Project)
- Igwebuike Secondray School Imeoha (New Constructions 3 classroom block)
- Primary School Umunnama Etiti (New Construction 3 classroom block)
- Primary School Umunama Ufuachi (Renovation)
- Primary School Mgbanaocha Nkerefi (Self Help Project) etc.
He also attracted vehicles and office equipment to Government as donations from Banks and well meaning individuals in many of the MDAs that he has served. G.O.C as he is fondly called has assisted many applicants to secure admissions into Universities, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education in the State and has also secured employment to so many sons and daughters of various towns and Local Government Areas in Enugu State. As a committed Christian (elder) he built and donated a church to Assemblies of God Nkerefi and has rendered all assistance to other churches in the State. As an accomplished scholar, he is well published and read in learned Journals and Books. He has 8 books to his credits, 12 Journal articles and 12 seminar/conference papers. Prominent among the publications is language and publication skills 1 and 2 very popular in most of the Colleges of Education in the South East. It is therefore for these reasons and others too numerous to remember that the National Association of Nkerefi Students have honoured him as one of the pillars of Education in Nkerefi. He also holds chieftaincy title Ezechichiri 1 of Umuawalagu Autonomous Community Nara Clan and Akajiugo 1 of Ebe in Udi Local Government Area of Enugu State in recognition of his community service to the people of the area. He has been honoured by the Colliery Old Boys Association Enugu branch (the 1st COBA Boy to be so honoured); Full Gospel Men’s Fellowship International Enugu State; University of Benin Alumini Association World as a Distinguished Alumnaus (DA) in recognition of his meritorious appointment as Secretary to the State Government.
He is happily married with children.